Michigan Learning Channel Production Summer Intern (Unpaid) - Detroit Public Television
Location Wixom, MI
Job Type Temporary,Part-time,Internship
Job Category Production
Who We Are: Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives. We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of MLC Production Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do: The Michigan Learning Channel is seeking an intern to support broadcast and digital video production through hands-on learning experiences. The Michigan Learning Channel (MLC) is a statewide public television partnership offering instructional content to support the education of students and to provide alternative resources for families and teachers. Designed to enrich school learning, the instructional content is aligned with Michigan’s educational standards and follows widely accepted sequences for mastering skills throughout the school year.
The MLC Production Intern will work with Michigan Learning Channel and Education Producers on educational programs including Extra Credit and Read, Write, ROAR! The MLC Production Intern will also work with the digital and engagement teams to produce social media content and posts. The MLC Production Intern will report to the Michigan Learning Channel Producer.
• Serve as a production assistant during field, virtual and studio production shoots:
- Gather releases
- Capture production stills, and behind the scenes video for use in program promotion and social media
- Assist the producer with script notes
• Support the production of MLC programming content:
- Write episode descriptions
- Create transcripts, soundbites, thumbnails, and other assets
- Review and copy edit scripts
- Log footage
- Conduct research as assigned
- Edit rough cuts
- Participate in weekly meetings, including brainstorming sessions with station staff and external partners
- Create program cut downs for social media
• Other duties as assigned
• Organized and detailed oriented
• Basic understanding of production documents, and processes (releases, scripts, shot lists)
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Basic office application knowledge (Excel, Word)
• Basic camera operation, lighting, and audio
• Basic non-linear editing and graphics creation (Adobe CC experience preferred but not required)
• Basic understanding of social media platforms including Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and YouTube
• Enrollment in a university or vocational tech training program or recent graduate
• Pursuing broadcasting, film, video production, telecommunications, or communications degree preferred
• Ability and willingness to work approximately 20 hours per week, minimum 3 day
• Ability to work in a hybrid model, including working in-person at the Riley Broadcast Center (RBC) in Wixom, MI on Tuesdays, and during production shoots when possible
What You’ll Get:
• Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs
• Opportunities to serve our mission and community
• Great work environment
Outcomes: At the conclusion of the internship, the intern will be able to:
• Media manage
• Gain familiarity with editing process/video prost production
• Understand video formats for television, online and mobile platforms
• Conceptualize, research, and pre-production of programs
• Prepare studio production materials including: rundowns, scripts, and equipment requirements
• Prepare promotional elements
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training. How to Apply: Send resume and cover letter to: HumanResources@dptv.org Human Resources WTVS Detroit Public Television 1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247 *No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.
Job Type : Temporary
Job Function : Development
Education Level : Not Applicable
Experience Level : Not Applicable