News Director - WOLV/WHKB/WCCY
Houghton Community Broadcasting is looking to fill a full-time position as news director for our three (soon to be four!) radio stations on Michigan’s beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula, and our award-winning KeweenawReport.com website.
Our preferred candidate will:
• Be a self-starter, willing and able to learn our community, find the stories and flourish independently;
• Have excellent writing skills for broadcast and web;
• Have the voice and vocal technique to deliver stories effectively on-air;
• Have long-form interviewing skills;
• Have a good working knowledge of audio production software (Cool Edit/Adobe Audition preferred);
• Be computer savvy, with experience uploading stories to websites (WordPress preferred), and using social media;
• Be eager to develop long-term relationships with local officials;
• Be trustworthy, ethical, a team player, and a good neighbor.
• Opportunities for sports play-by-play also exist.
Experience is preferred, but we are open to working with a well-trained beginner, including a fresh college or broadcast school graduate. You’ll become a valued member of our small but hard working staff, that each year garners more than our share of awards from our state association for news, sports, feature and entertainment programming (including a recent Station of the Year honor). You’ll also become the trusted news voice of our wonderful community.
Responsibilities will include daily newscasts, meeting and event coverage, hosting our weekly one-hour interview program, and posting stories to KeweenawReport.com, our standalone news website, which has more social media followers than our local daily paper. Sports play-by-play opportunities also exist.
This is a small market, but the cost of living is modest, and we have a great four-seasons lifestyle. Houghton was recently named the eighth-most beautiful small town in America by Architectural Digest. We offer a health insurance plan. Best of all, there’s no corporate BS. Looking for stability? Our key people have been with us for decades. We love what we do, and we love living here.
This is an immediate opening, so please send your resume and samples of your audio and writing to: RadioJobUpNorth@gmail.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer by choice.
How to apply: Send your resume, and audio and writing samples to RadioJobUpNorth@gmail.com
Application email/URL RadioJobUpNorth@gmail.com
Job Type : Full-Time