Program Director - WDET-FM
WDET FM 101.9 is metro Detroit’s public radio station, offering compelling content to the region and the world through terrestrial (on-air) and digital channels. As a public radio station, WDET depends on listeners for survival and growth. Listeners choose WDET content, and provide financial support for it because of the excellence of the programming and presentation. With a unique mix of news, music and conversation, WDET strives to serve the community with authenticity, creativity and values. WDET values facts, knowledge, diversity, inclusion, collaboration and a steadfast listener-first commitment in recognition that listeners are the focus of WDET.
Advises the General Manager and envisions, plans, directs and develops programming, operations and engineering activities of WDET-FM. Ensures high quality on-air presentation of programming in support of audience development goals and the station’s public service mission to the surrounding community. Determines the program content of WDET by planning and scheduling compelling content through on-air and digital channels.
Determines what programs, news broadcasts, and other program material are offered to the public. Employs expertise, taste and intuition to steer and define the station’s brand.
Reports to: Mary Zatina, General Manager Mary.Zatina@WDET.org
Oversees and directs the 24/7/365 station program schedule. Determines, evaluates and continuously improve WDET’s regular program schedule. Conceive and organize special projects consistent with the WDET brand and audience needs including on-air fundraisers, music festivals, remote broadcasts, special coverage and extended preemptions. Oversee unique, local programs such as Detroit Today, CultureShift and shape their content. Create new programs to meet community needs.
Oversees the scheduling and rotation of all on air promotions, underwriting credits, interstitial content, and fundraising elements. Directs acquisition and delivery of pre-recorded programs in accordance with the highest industry standards. Provides insight and direction regarding style and tone and manages the promotion, creation and quality assurance of all pre-produced announcements and messages.
Provides overall leadership and direction to exempt and nonexempt staff. Identifies award-worthy work and prepares it for external recognition of the station and staff.
Sets expectations & focus, assigns duties, schedules staff, delegates responsibilities, evaluates activities, delegates work, sets clear direction, prioritizes and manages workflow, prepares performance appraisals & professional development plans. Provides coaching, mentoring and teaching. Manages the administrative process for assigned staff including hiring, promotions, terminations, disciplinary procedures, and and salary adjustments. Provides ongoing performance feedback, goal setting, and development plans for staff. Plans for future staffing needs. Provides timely communications to staff.
Promotes audience growth. Provides quality programming expertise, strategic decision-making, understanding and application of analytical data to increase weekly listenership, ranking and time spent listening. Provides audience analysis and reporting. Collects and interprets data, provides customized analysis for stakeholders and maintains effective working relationships with data vendors. Responds to listener input including complaints, suggestions and compliments.
Contributes greatly to growth in membership by implementing effective and creative fundraising messaging that makes the case for listener support of WDET and NPR programming and adheres to WDET brand standards.
Fields inquiries from external entities who wish to work with WDET. Works collaboratively with station staff in the areas of News, Music, Philanthropy, Program Sponsorship and the Business office to model overall station collaboration and excellence. Fosters communication about the station internally and externally.
Prepares fiscal year budgets and oversees expenditures. Attends meetings and events to represent the station and interact with listeners and members.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience Expert (established subject matter expert, 7+ years experience)
- 7 or more years media programming and community engagement experience, including management experience, especially in Public Media.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to achieve success in radio programming, especially Public Media.
- Ability to promote audience growth by providing quality programming in an audio-based enterprise.
- Ability to evaluate and enhance the overall sound of an audio-based enterprise by evaluating audience needs and interests and implementing forward-thinking programming plans and events.
- Knowledge of the interplay between terrestrial, digital and in-person channels to enhance community engagement.
- Ability to promote audience growth through quality programming expertise, strategic decision-making, understanding and application of analytical data to increase weekly listenership, ranking and time spent listening.
- Ability to provide audience analysis and reporting. Collects and interprets data, provides customized analysis for stakeholders and maintains effective working relationships with stakeholders.
- Effective interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to negotiate and persuade others.
- Ability to influence and motivate others. Consultative skills related to process improvement and policy/guideline development and implementation. Demonstrated success in cross-departmental collaboration and execution. Must have a positive disposition and an interest in the world.
- Ability to delegate work, set clear direction, prioritize and manage workflow. Strong mentoring and coaching skills. Ability to train staff and develop subordinate's skills.
- Ability to foster teamwork among staff members.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Excellent negotiation and persuasion skills, with demonstrated ability to negotiate and persuade others.
- Knowledge of the evolving media landscape including research on listening habits and smart devices and willingness to investigate what is new and unknown.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including audience and market analysis.
- Ability to synthesize qualitative and quantitative radio data, independent market research data and third-party data into a holistic understanding of WDET's audience and service opportunities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects along multiple timelines to successful conclusion.
- Ability to prepare fiscal year budgets and oversee expenditures.
- Must be committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in words and deeds and act as an advocate for WDET’s content and staff to represent and celebrate the diversity of the community WDET serves.
This is a full-time, non-academic, non-represented position with a generous benefit package through Wayne State University. The station is located in Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood on the campus of Wayne State University. While Flexible Work Arrangements can be made, the position requires a presence at the station in Detroit.
Job Type : Full-Time
How to Apply : Interested candidates can apply through jobs.wayne.edu. The job title is Director, Programing, WDET. The posting number is 046669.
Location : Detrout
Website : https://wdet.org